In 2017 D. Best Construction completed a total renovation of one of the oldest buildings in downtown Vineyard Haven. Constructed by Jirah Luce in 1796, this property is considered the best example of Federal architecture in Vineyard Haven and was at one point the satellite location for the Dukes County Historical Society, now the Martha’s Vineyard Museum. It was just barely spared from the calamitous Great Tisbury Fire of 1883. Over time the building has served as a home, a doctor’s office, a girls’ school, a tearoom and a number of retail stores.
We transformed the building into the upscale clothing boutique Magnetic North, Behind the Bookstore café and a second floor apartment while preserving the historic architectural details.